August 06, 2010

Impact


Not so long ago, someone I trust told me a story about how much an impact one person can have on the world around him. He told me that especially with the use of internet, we are able to effect someone we have never met on the other side of the world....that is powerful if you think of it.


What would we each learn if we realized that everything we do impacts others? I have the ability today to speak well of someone and effect them, in turn, myself. I have the opportunity to touch another simply by reaching out to help. So many times, as a counselor, I have heard people tell me that they are hurting no one but themselves with their choices; however, I assume it cannot be true. Each action we take has the potential to have bearing on another.


We can be positive or negative but seldom a neutral role model. Frequently, I tell clients that everyone is a role model to someone. Though, it can be positive or negative, someone is watching. Today I would rather be a positive role model. But just as easily, I can be a hideous caution for what one might not want to be. As long as I realize that everything I do and say impacts someone, I am learning.


The first time I heard Patrick Kennedy speak in person, he referred to his Uncle's famous quote that I call to mind each time I consider that my behaviors impact another....."Each time a person stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others...he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance". ~Robert F. Kennedy (1925 - 1968)

Role Model

No comments: