February 20, 2011

Eat, Pray, Love





Sometime ago I bought the book but this weekend watched the movie, Eat, Pray, Love. I never read the book but will now. I text a friend as the movie intro began and the character sat watching a book she had written come alive through an actor on stage. She was awestruck at the truth of her life. As was I. It felt as if another was telling my story.

The movie went on to touch issues at my core. On my 40th birthday someone who was close to me at that time gave me a book and some feedback so similar to this movie…..the synergy of life was the message then. Also, the personal message about allowing people to enter into my life to teach me. He also gave me a simple suggestion to begin looking at people and meeting them as possible teachers in unpredictable places like book stores and coffee shops in order not to miss opportunities. While I have done that, I have a long way to grow.

There were many quotes I made notes about during the movie…..

“Balance is not letting anyone love you less than you love yourself”

“I don’t need easy, just not hard”

“God dwells within you, as you”

“You don’t need a man, you need a champion”

“Sometimes to lose balance for love is part of living a balanced life”

The last monologue in the movie spoke to me most.

“Something I call the physics of the quest, a force of nature governed by laws as real as the laws of gravity. The rule of quest physics goes something like this -- If you’re brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and conformity which can be anything from your house to bitter old resentments and set out on a truth seeking journey, either externally or internally, and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you along that journey as a clue and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher and if you are prepared most of all to face and forgive some very difficult realities about yourself then the truth will not be withheld from you”.

I will.


No comments: