May 29, 2010

Thoughts became words and words might become action....

A couple of weeks ago I had a conversation with a teacher at my son’s school. We talked about summer plans. She told me she thought the United States was beautiful and wrought with history. She mentioned how incredible Mount Rushmore. Mount Rushmore, huh? I began looking at photos online. I began calculating distance. And a thought came into my head. Soon I said out loud that I wanted to take a road trip to South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore. Yes, see Mount Rushmore. Yes, in a car…..from Texas.

The idea was tossed around. Discussions were had. Eventually the idea of South Dakota was eliminated. Not because Mount Rushmore isn’t an incredible beauty to behold but because if driving through the country was really part of the plan, South Dakota might be a bit far to go in a week. I was open to new ideas. I am a proud member of a time share. I can use a condo in one of a number of locations throughout the US anytime I so desire.

Vail, Colorado. A condo in the mountains, streams, a beautiful downtown….and without a doubt….a spa! Okay. I can get on board with that. Besides, Vail has splendor, too, right?



I can already visualize it. Me at the pool after having a mani, pedi and facial....watching the pool, reading a book....ahhhh.

I do not remember exactly how it occurred but somewhere between my imagining a stone massage and a pedicure in Vail and my standing inside of Bass Pro Shop with my little sonshine and his father picking out supplies….the tides had turned.

You needn’t re-read that. Yes, I said Bass Pro Shop. No, it wasn’t my first time there. When it first opened and was all the rage I went to find out what all the hoop la was about. I determined back then it wasn’t my cup of hoop la. But there I stood in the store full of outdoorsmen (and women, of course). And I think people were starring at me. We were looking at…..I am not sure I can say it…we were looking at camping gear. And the sonshine and his father were giddy. Camping gear.


If you follow my blog, are my facebook friend, or (shudder) know me in real life….you know the many reasons I might be a fish out of water (yes, I meant fish out of water to be an obvious attempt at humor) when it comes to camping. I have never been camping.

Now, the Heller family does consist of a yearly ritual that began before I was born that I call camping. But, it isn’t really camping. Each July (or August…depending on which is hotter….someone picks the hotter on purpose, I think) we go to the Colorado River and do what I like to think of as camping. Admittedly, it isn’t. It is in a cabin. It has real beds. There is a full sized kitchen. There is indoor plumbing. And even a pool. But, come on….I never wear makeup or fix my hair while I am there. So, for my purpose, that constitutes camping.

Nope. Standing in Bass Pro Shop these boys were talking really camping. Tents, sleeping bags that would go on the floor of these tents….at night…with bears or whatever roams the mountains of Colorado. I asked, although, I regret it. Where does one go in the middle of the night when there is a desire to tinkle? And how does one see to get there? And where does one shower? And where does one get a pedicure in such a place? And what about my hair?

I wouldn’t consider myself high maintenance. As a matter of fact, I try real hard to stay someplace in the category of medium maintenance. But, camping? Really? Me camping? I dunno. I haven’t completely bought into the idea. As a matter of fact, I am still formulating the manipulation plan in my head right now. I am truly thinking this may be an incredible opportunity for father and son to boy bond. Who wants a woman along on a trip like this anyway? And what is happening to my dignity?

And where will I charge my droid? And laptop?


Watch your thoughts, for they become words.Watch your words, for they become actions.Watch your actions, for they become habits.Watch your habits, for they become character.Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.

No comments: