September 11, 2014

I'm Listening


I was uncharacteristically angry this morning. It was anger born by hurt and disappointment. I was ready to "lose my cool". I convinced myself it was okay to take my anger out verbally on the offender. I'd gone down my checklist. They deserved it. They had it coming. They were wrong. They knowingly hurt me. They were selfish. They are selfish. They haven't changed....you know?

Then I went to mass with my son. On a Thursday. I even rearranged my schedule to accommodate the service.

And I heard:

“To you who hear I say, love your enemies,
do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you,
pray for those who mistreat you.
To the person who strikes you on one cheek,
offer the other one as well,
and from the person who takes your cloak,
do not withhold even your tunic.
Give to everyone who asks of you,
and from the one who takes what is yours do not demand it back.
Do to others as you would have them do to you.
For if you love those who love you,
what credit is that to you?..."

Thank you. I'm listening.

No comments: