February 11, 2008

Struggle

I have noticed that people seem to engage in struggle more than it is necessary. I talked to my mom this morning and told her that I am finding less need for struggle. I can recall times in my early twenties when I would stand with my head in my hands wondering why God wanted me to struggle. I don't want to struggle with anything, but most importantly, I don't want to struggle with things that are not important enough.

Just this morning I was faced with a phone call that caused me to "go into action". Then I stopped. I realized how unimportant to the grand scheme of my life that issue was. I have many important things in my life today that may be worth a struggle. But this one is not one of them. I am grateful for the ability to stop in the midst of chaos, collect my thoughts, seperate my thoughts from my feelings, listen to the advice of others I trust and move forward. Without struggle.

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)

No comments: